Friday, February 26, 2010

blog name change


So if you know me then you know I used to be a cratfter plagued by ADD with too many projects and not enough time to complete them . A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumor on my pancreas and had a major surgery to remove it along with numerous other parts of my digestive system. During my recovery I couldn't sit at the sewing machine and sew and I couldn't eat much either.I ended up passing my time watching food network and pbs and obsessing over food . One of the after effects of the Whipple procedure( the name of the surgery)is that with a compromised pancreas some people can develop diabetes. I was instructed to watch my sugar intake closely. Around the same time my daughter had surgery for ovarian cancer and also developed an allergy to food coloring. On the advice of my nutritionist I purged all products containing high fructose corn syrup from my pantry . At the same time, all artificially colored products also got the boot . I've always been a pretty healthy eater , so it wasn't too big of a loss but I was amazed at how HFCS made it's way into so many processed foods. I had to find substitutes for a few favorite condiments ( Heinz ketchup and Hersey syrup )and I started making many other products like baked goods, salad dressings, and marinades from scratch. It's not something I could do if I was working full time, it takes time and planning, but it's worth it.

No comments: